Cost of Living Concession
The Cost of Living Concession helps those on low or fixed incomes with their cost of living expenses, whether that be electricity, water, gas or medical bills.
Applications can be made between 1 July and 31 October each year.
The Cost of Living Concession is payable as a maximum amount per household, and can only be made to one person per household. You may be eligible for the Cost of Living Concession for your principal place of residence on 1 July of the relevant financial year if:
On 1 July of the relevant financial year you held one of the following eligible cards:
- a Pensioner Concession Card
- Gold Card from the Department of Veterans' Affairs
- Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
- Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)
- War Widow
- Gold Card from the Department of Veterans' Affairs issued to a person with 80 or more overall impairment points under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (Cth)
- Low Income Health Care Card
- Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
On 1 July of the relevant financial year you received one of the following eligible Centrelink payments:
- Newstart Allowance
- Sickness Allowance
- Widow Allowance
- Youth Allowance
- Partner allowance
- Parenting Payment
- Special Benefit
- Community Development Employment Project (CDEP)
- New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS)
- Farm Household Allowance
- War widow pension under legislation of the United Kingdom or New Zealand
You can demonstrate that on 1 July of the relevant financial year you meet low income provisions in the low income earners category. These low income provisions will become available on 1 July of the relevant financial year.
The concession is paid per eligible household, per year:
- homeowner-occupiers - $200.00
- homeowner-occupiers who are self-funded retirees with a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card - $100.00
- tenants - $100.00.
How to apply
The application period for the Cost of Living Concession is currently closed. Applications for the Cost of Living Concession are available from 1 July to 31 October each year.
Online and print application forms for the Cost of Living Concession will be made available in 2017 to apply for this concession for the 2017-18 financial year.
Concessions Hotline - 1800 307 758
If you have a hearing or speech impairment - TTY 8226 6789
Interpreting and translating
To arrange an onsite or telephone interpreter, or to have a document translated, please call the Interpreting and Translating Centre (ITC) on 1800 280 203.
- Concession finder
- Apply for energy, water and sewerage concessions online - Department for Communities and Social Inclusion
Alternative version of documents
Many documents are displayed as PDF files. If you have problems accessing documents in the PDF format, you can request a copy to be made available in an alternative format.
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org