Rural property addressing

Rural property addressing provides all occupied rural properties, homes and businesses, with a numbered property address consistent with the national standards for Australia and New Zealand.

Approximately 60,000 properties were issued with a new address from their local council by 2014. Property owners are notified once the new address becomes official.

The new addresses don't affect residents' privacy, it only identifies the property, not who lives there. Rural property addressing does not alter the previously established locality and suburb names and boundaries.

If you are constructing a new building on your property contact your local council for information about getting a new property address.

If your road has no name or signposting contact your local council for information and advice.

A rural property address consists of:

  • a distance-based road number
  • road name
  • locality
  • postcode.

For more information contact your local council.

Rural property addressing video transcript (23.0 KB DOC)

How an address is worked out

Property numbers are worked out based on the distance from the start of the road to the entrance of the property. That distance (in metres) is divided by ten.

Even numbers are on the right and odd numbers are on the left. For example, the entrance to a property 5,080 metres from the start of the road on the right hand side becomes number 508.

The start of the road is determined as the fastest and safest road accessed from the nearest major road or town. Rural road maps are being drawn up to define the name, the start point and direction of every rural road.

Who issues the addresses

Rural property addressing is jointly managed by the state government and local councils.

The state government will:

  • provide standard communication, process support and negotiation with third parties
  • provide technical support to local councils
  • establish the rural property address register, rural road register and maintenance systems.

The local councils will:

  • confirm rural road names and newly generated addresses
  • name any unnamed, occupied roads and notify the state government
  • communicate official addresses to property owners
  • ask residents to display the appropriate property address signs.

Why it is being implemented

Currently, finding many rural properties relies heavily on people's knowledge of the local area and reference points. This can be confusing and time-consuming.

Giving rural properties a consistent address will:

  • assist emergency services and service providers find properties
  • improve the safety of people in rural areas
  • improve delivery of services and infrastructure
  • provide a certainty of location and a recognised address that can be understood nationally.

I already have a number

You will still be issued with a new numbered address even if you currently have a rural areas property identification directory (RAPID) number or equivalent.

The current RAPID numbers or equivalent:

  • are not unique
  • are not universally supported by councils or emergency services
  • are not officially recognised as an address
  • are of little benefit to people who don't have access to topographical maps.

If you have a post box, post office, a private or locked bag that you have mail delivered to you should continue to use it. If you have any concerns about mail delivery contact Australia Post.

Can a new address be changed?

Once your address has been issued it can't be changed unless it is incorrect. If the wrong entrance was used to create your new number or if the number is incorrect you should contact your local council as soon as possible.

Road signs

All property owners must ensure that their roadside number is clearly visible and can be recognised from a vehicle travelling along the road in both directions. This will assist services to find properties as every number will help determine a property's location. A standard format sign has been approved by your council. Contact your local council for costs, if any, associated with the provision of a replacement roadside number plate.

Rural road maps

Rural road maps are being prepared to define the start and end of every rural road in the state on a council and regional basis. As each region and council is completed the road maps are posted for viewing.

Who to tell about your new address

You should give your new address to:

  • family and friends
  • businesses and other organisations you deal with,  such as your bank, medical organisations, motor registration.

Once you have been allocated an address your local council will notify the national address database which is used by:

  • Australia Post
  • emergency services
  • Telstra
  • state and federal electoral commissions
  • SA Power Networks and SA Water.

Names of localities stay the same

In the urban environment we have 'suburbs' and in the rural areas we have 'localities'. Rural locality names in South Australia were established in consultation with local councils between 1992 and 2005. They were then gazetted as official locality or suburb boundaries for public use under the Geographical Names Act. The rural addressing project will not alter the previously established names and boundaries.

Related information

On this site

Land services industry entry point

Other websites


For an alternative version of any document on this page contact Land Services.

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why.

If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 6 February 2019

Provided by:
Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2020