Rural property addressing

All occupied rural properties, homes and businesses have numbered property address consistent with the national standards for Australia and New Zealand.

If you are constructing a new building or if your road doesn't have a name or signposting, contact your local council for information and advice.

Having consistent addresses for rural properties:

  • assists emergency services and service providers find properties
  • improves the safety of people in rural areas
  • improves delivery of services and infrastructure
  • provides a certainty of location and a recognised address that can be understood nationally.

For more information contact your local council.

How an address is worked out

A rural property address consists of:

  • a distance-based road number
  • road name
  • locality
  • postcode.

Property numbers are worked out based on the distance from the start of the road to the entrance of the property. That distance - in metres - is divided by ten.

Even numbers are on the right and odd numbers are on the left. For example, the entrance to a property 5,080 metres from the start of the road on the right hand side becomes number 508.

The start of the road is determined as the fastest and safest road accessed from the nearest major road or town.

Rural road maps define the name, the start point and direction of every rural road in the state.

Who issues the addresses

Rural property addressing is jointly managed by the state government and local councils.

The state government:

  • provides standard communication, process support and negotiation with third parties
  • provides technical support to local councils
  • keeps the rural property address register, rural road register and maintenance systems.

The local councils:

  • confirm rural road names and newly generated addresses
  • name any unnamed, occupied roads and notify the state government
  • communicate official addresses to property owners
  • ask residents to display the appropriate property address signs.

Road signs

All property owners must make sure their roadside number is clearly visible and can be recognised from a vehicle travelling along the road in both directions. A standard format sign has been approved by your council. Contact your local council for any cost associated with a replacement roadside number plate.

Related information

Other websites

    Was this page useful?

    Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

    Page last updated 12 March 2021

    Provided by:
    Department for Trade and Investment
    Last Updated:
    Printed on:
    Copyright statement:
    SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023