Lodging a bond

A bond is a security deposit the tenant/resident gives the landlord/proprietor at the beginning of a tenancy or lease. The landlord must lodge it with Consumer and Business Services (CBS). It is returned at the end of the tenancy if there are no claims for cleaning, outstanding rent or other costs.

Landlords/proprietors must lodge a bond within two weeks of it being received. Agents have four weeks to lodge the bond.

Residential Bonds Online (RBO)

Agents must use RBO to lodge a bond. Landlords can choose to use RBO or lodge manually.

Housing SA bond guarantees can also be lodged using RBO.

Maximum amount of bond that can be requested

Other ways to lodge a bond

Tenant access to RBO

Landlords/proprietors should register a tenant/resident's email address on RBO at the start of a tenancy. CBS will send the tenant/resident an email with a unique link and instructions to activate their online account.

Residential Bonds Online (RBO) - Information for tenants

Tenants will be able to:

  • check the details of their bond
  • request a refund
  • approve or dispute a refund request submitted by the landlord or proprietor

Verifying a tenant's identity

Tenants must have their identity (ID) checked through the national Document Verification Service to access RBO.

The ID must be issued in Australia and can include:

  • birth certificate
  • driver's licence
  • Medicare card
  • passport
  • travel visa
  • marriage certificate
  • Centrelink health card.

Bond guarantees

Tenants/residents can apply to Housing SA to provide a bond guarantee on the tenant's behalf. This replaces the bond lodgement form if lodged manually. Bond guarantees have an expiry date.

The bond guarantee must be:

  • signed by landlord and tenant
  • lodged with CBS.

The tenant/resident will have a debt with Housing SA if bond is claimed by the landlord/proprietor at the end of the tenancy.

Contact Housing SA about bond guarantees.

Contact CBS Bonds

Online: Residential bond enquiries

Phone: 131 882

GPO Box 965
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 4 June 2021

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2021