Ending a public housing tenancy

You need to give at least two weeks’ written notice to Housing SA if you want to end your tenancy.

If you need to be away from home temporarily you may not have to end your tenancy.

It may be possible to transfer the tenancy to another person who lives in the property.

End your tenancy with Housing SA

Use your Housing Connect account to give notice to end your tenancy and view when Housing SA has scheduled your outgoing tenant inspection.

Don't have a Housing Connect account? Set up an account.

Other ways to apply

What happens next

Housing SA will contact you to arrange an outgoing tenant inspection and talk to you about:

  • any alterations you made to the property
  • your responsibilities when you leave
  • any supports you might need.

Contact Housing SA as soon as possible if you can’t attend the outgoing tenant inspection.

Change or cancel ending your tenancy

Contact Housing SA before the date your tenancy is due to end if you need to either:

  • change the date your tenancy will end
  • cancel ending your tenancy.

Before you leave

Before you leave the property you need to:

  • pay rent up to the date your tenancy ends
  • pay any other charges, such as maintenance charges
  • make any repairs needed, for example, fill in small holes in the wall
  • remove all your belongings
  • remove all rubbish from the property
  • leave the property in a clean and tidy condition.

If you leave any belongings behind, you will be charged for the cost of removing and storing or disposing of them.

Many local councils offer free or low cost services to remove rubbish and unwanted belongings like furniture and white goods. Contact your local council for more information.

When your tenancy has ended

You will be refunded any credit left in your account once all charges, such as water charges, have been deducted. This can take up to eight weeks.

You can ask Housing SA for a tenant reference letter.

Once your tenancy ends you won’t be able to return. You may be eligible to register your interest in housing again if you want to housing in the future.

Related information

Other websites

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 1 July 2022

Provided by:
SA Housing Authority
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023