Incorporated Aboriginal associations
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander groups may choose to become incorporated to:
- provide support to improve the health and wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- secure land
- seek greater recognition for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- provide legal assistance
- develop infrastructure
- promote art, performance or music.
Ways to incorporate
Incorporation is voluntary for most groups, and there are several different ways that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander groups can incorporate:
- the Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations (which also provides further information about registration options)
- with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)
- under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 (CATSI Act)
- under State or Territory associations legislation
- under the Corporations Act 2001.