COVID-19 update

Charities have been granted a six month extension to provide their financial statements.

JusticeNet’s Pro Bono Referral Service can help charitable and community groups seeking advice.

Additional information is available around how regulators will enforce compliance during COVID-19.

A charity is an institution or fund established and operated for altruistic purposes that the law regards as charitable.

A charity must be an entity that is:

  • a not-for-profit organisation
  • for the public benefit, other than when the charitable purpose is the relief of poverty
  • for a charitable purpose such as:
    • health services and research
    • help for disabled, sick, poor, destitute or unemployed people and their families
    • war relief for anywhere in the world
    • help for current or past members of the armed forces and their families
    • helping animals.

Is your organisation a charity? - Australian Taxation Office

Registering your charity to fundraise in South Australia

Organisations that collect for a charity must have a Collections for Charitable Purposes (CCP) licence.

You are automatically licensed to collect for charitable purposes in South Australia if you are registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) and you have notified Consumer and Business Services (CBS).

Register with the ACNC - online

Charities can choose to stay registered with CBS or register with the ACNC.

Charities that stay with CBS will:

  • be listed as a charity on the CBS website
  • need to submit audited financial statements and there won’t be any changes to your reporting requirements
  • be contacted again next year when your licence is due for renewal.

If you register with the ACNC you must complete the form to advise CBS if you intend to fundraise in South Australia.

Use the Collections for charitable purposes application/notification form to :

  • notify CBS that you intend to collect in SA if you are registered with the ACNC
  • renew an existing CBS SA licence if you are not registered with the ACNC
  • apply for a new licence with CBS if you are not registered with the ACNC
  • lodge a fundraising income and expenditure statement to CBS.

Start now

Not licensed as a charity in SA

Organisations registered with the ACNC, but not licensed as a charity in SA, can’t fundraise until they notify CBS by using the online notification form above, then CBS will let you know when you can collect in SA.

If you are not collecting for a charitable purpose, you don’t have to notify CBS.

    Collecting for charity

    Collecting for charities can include:

    • collecting money or property, such as door knock appeals or online fundraising
    • charging admission for an entertainment event
    • selling items like badges, ribbons or second-hand goods
    • a bequest, or other grants of money or property to a charity.

    Reporting requirements

    If you are registered with the ACNC and have notified Consumer and Business Services (CBS), you don’t have to renew your licence or lodge annual fundraising statements. Changes to legislation streamlined reporting requirements for charities from 1 December 2016.

    Changes for charities and prescribed associations - Consumer and Business Services

    Charities and prescribed associations

    Organisations registered only with the ACNC need to report directly to them after you have submitted your final charity and prescribed association financial statements to CBS.

    If you don’t register with the ACNC, you must submit separate reports to CBS as a charity and as a prescribed association in the future.

    Changes for charities and prescribed associations - Consumer and Business Services

    Please note: CBS won't send you a hard-copy renewal form unless you ask for it.

    Contact CBS

    Online: Contact CBS

    Phone: 131 882

    GPO Box 1719
    Adelaide SA 5001

    Was this page useful?

    Page last updated 24 June 2020

    Provided by:
    Attorney-General's Department
    Last Updated:
    Printed on:
    Copyright statement:
    SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2021