Latest bushfire information from the CFS
Marketing a community organisation
Through good marketing you can build positive awareness of your organisation and the work you do.
Some of the different methods you can use to market your organisation include:
- Online - using the internet to work online can be a quick, easy and effective way of letting others know about your community organisation and its events through blogs, websites, social networking and online forums.
- Print - through dialogue and regular contact with the news editor or journalists from your local newspaper, your community organisation can enlist their help to publicise activities and events.
- Customer focused - you can use a variety of marketing activities such as loyalty programs, thank-you cards, customer appreciation events and free gifts to build long-lasting relationships with your customers.
- Radio and television - can help to extend your community organisation's reach to a wider audience. Your event or story can initially be pitched through a media release, by phone or email to a news editor or journalist.
- Banners - are a cost effective way of promoting a community organisation or event. They are generally eye-catching and placed in strategic locations to draw people's attention to them. Permission should be sought from the local council or a landowner if, for example, they are to be placed in a public park or a shopping centre.
- Poster or flyers - are easy to design and distribute. They may include:
- branding or logos associated with the organisation
- a brief description of your main message
- the location of the venue
- the organisation's contact details or website.
- Marketing help sheets - Our Community
- basic steps to develop an effective marketing plan - Our Community
- Marketing and Communications Centre - Our Community - established to provide community groups with the resources and tools to develop and spread the message to the wider community, and to build greater public awareness and support
- Media guide for community groups - to help community organisations engage with the media - Office for Volunteers.
- Community Voices grant program - community organisations work closely with students from the Screen Studies Department at Flinders University to develop television commercials or short films for promotional and marketing purposes.
- Australian Government grants are available annually for volunteer-related activities that may include marketing initiatives. All applications are assessed on their merits and potential benefits.