Energy efficiency assistance

The Retailer Energy Productivity Scheme (REPS) supports households and businesses to reduce their energy costs while also maximising the benefits to our power system to deliver a smarter, more affordable, reliable and sustainable energy future for all South Australians.

South Australian households and businesses may be able to receive free or discounted energy efficiency and energy productivity activities from energy retailers participating in the REPS. The REPS replaces the former Retailer Energy Efficiency Scheme (REES) which ran from 2009 to 2020.

Typical activities include installing energy efficient lighting, or installing water efficient shower heads, helping save water heating costs.

Getting REPS services

You can contact any of the REPS obliged retailers or third-party contractors to find out what energy savings activities may be available for your home or business, not just the retailer currently supplying your energy services.

REPS activities and targets can differ between retailers. You can call multiple retailers and contractors to see who can help you.

Home energy audits are not available under the REPS, however you can do your own home energy audit by borrowing a Home Energy Toolkit from your local public library.

How many times can you get REPS assistance?

If you have received a particular REPS activity at your current address, for example, a water-efficient shower head, you will not be eligible for the same thing again. You may be able to receive a different REPS activity, such as LED light globes. Speak to a REPS contractor to see what your options are. If you have received an activity under the former REES, you may be eligible for further activities under the new REPS.

Door-to-door REPS offers

If a person comes to your home or business and offers you a REPS energy efficiency activity, they must identify themselves to you by:

  • their name and photographic identification
  • the provider's full name
  • the full name of the company that they are representing (including ABN)
  • a contact telephone number of the company that they are representing.

Once they have completed energy saving activities in your home or business, they must give you a written information statement that:

  • provides the name and contact details of the person or entity that performed the energy audit or energy efficiency activity
  • describes the energy audit and/or energy efficiency activity undertaken in your home or business
  • notes that the energy audit or energy efficiency activity will count towards satisfying an obliged retailer's obligations under the REPS
  • clearly outlines the dispute resolution process if you are not satisfied with the audit or activity.

Priority group referrals – SA Financial Counsellors Association

Priority group customers may be eligible for further discounts or offers through the REPS. Registered members of the South Australian Financial Counsellors Association (SAFCA) can refer customers to the priority group if they do not meet other priority group criteria.

Referring to the Retailer Energy Productivity Scheme (2.3 MB PDF)

Making a complaint

If you have a problem with a REPS provider, the first step is to try to resolve it with them directly.

Although REPS is a Government of South Australia initiative, ESCOSA administers it.

Please contact ESCOSA by calling 8463 4444 or emailing if you weren’t given your REPS provider’s details or can’t resolve a dispute with your REPS provider directly and wish to lodge a complaint.

Related information

On this site

Using and buying appliances

Home energy audits

Other websites

Retailer Energy Productivity Scheme industry information - Department for Energy and Mining

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 9 June 2022

Provided by:
Department for Energy and Mining
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023