Apply for trade plates
Who can apply
Trade plates may be issued to:
- people involved in a joint ownership
- companies registered with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission.
How to apply
1. Application form
2. Supporting documents
You need to produce at least three of the following identification documents
- Second hand vehicle dealers licence certificate (MVLD)
- Motor Trade Association (MTA) Membership letter (must not be more than three months old at time of lodging the application)
- A current RAA approved repair service agreement (must not be more than 12 months old at time of lodging the application)
- ASIC Business Name Extract or ASIC Company Extract or ‘Notice of Issue of an ABN’ from the Australian Taxation Office*
- Photographic evidence of workshop premises, internally and externally (this identification document is Mandatory for Mechanical Repairers or Panel Beaters etc)
- Confirmation of Return to Work SA Registration
- White/Yellow pages listing or a Reference to Business website, social media account, business website/social media account must have clear evidence of business conductivity**
* Documents issued by ASIC/ATO will be treated as one identification document. Presenting two documents issued by ASIC/ATO is not considered as two of the three required identification documents.
** Listings in the White/Yellow pages or reference to websites or social media accounts will be treated as one identification document. Presenting two of these options is not considered as two of the three required identification documents.
Photographic evidence will be a Mandatory identification document for businesses such as mechanical repairers, crash repairs/panel beaters, car detailers (applications made by car detailers will be accepted on a case by case basis and not all car detailers will be granted a trade plate). Acceptable photographs may include but are not limited to:
- Car Hoists/Grease pit
- Large selection of tools that have permanent storage facilities (i.e. are not used out of a tool box)
- Chemical associated with the repair of vehicles (e.g. greases, solvents, oils etc)
- Vehicle parts
- Electronic/diagnostic equipment for vehicles
- Spray booths
- Clear signage of the business
3. Lodge the application
Lodge your application at a Service SA customer service centre.
Trade plate sizes
The plate size issued depends on the type of vehicle categories that you nominate.
A motorcycle sized plate will be issued if the only category nominated is motorcycle.
All other vehicle category types and combinations will be issued a general vehicle sized trade plate.
Period of issue
A trade plate may be issued for one, two or three years. A certificate and label will be issued to you when all the requirements are completed.
You may apply for a trade plate to be used on vehicles belonging to one or more of the following categories.
A motor vehicle or trailer that has a gross vehicle mass exceeding 4500kg (excluding a farm implement and farm machine or special purpose vehicle).
The heavy vehicle category does not allow the trade plate to be used for vehicles that belong to the light vehicle category. If you wish to use a trade plate for both types of vehicles, you would need to nominate both categories in your application.
A motor vehicle that has a gross vehicle mass not exceeding 4500kg (excluding a motorcycle, trailer, farm machine, farm implement and special purpose vehicle).
Any motorcycle regardless of the engine capacity.
A trailer that has a gross trailer mass not exceeding 4500kg (excluding a farm implement, farm machine and special purpose vehicle).
Farm implements and farm machines
Self-propelled farm machines and towed farm implements only.
Special purpose vehicles
Any vehicle not specifically designed for the carriage of passengers or goods including farm implements and farm machines.
It is an offence to use a trade plate on a category of vehicle that is not recorded on the certificate and label that is issued to you.
The Motor Vehicle Regulations 2010 detail the purposes for which a trade plate may be used.