Pay a traffic expiation notice

If you commit a traffic offence, you may be issued with an expiation notice and have to pay a fine.

Expiations can be issued for a variety of reasons. However, drivers are most likely to be issued one for a breach of traffic laws - eg a speeding offence.

How to pay

If you receive an expiation notice you can pay it:

About traffic fines

The expiation notice can either be a handwritten notice issued by a police officer or a computer generated from a speed or red-light camera offence.

Expiation notices for speed or red-light cameras are posted to the registered owner of the offending vehicle. If the vehicle is registered in joint names, the expiation notice is forwarded to the person nominated as the contact owner or registered operator of the vehicle.

To contest the offence you may elect to have the matter heard in court.

Expiation fees that apply to road traffic offences are set out in the:

Not the driver at the time of the offence

If you were not the driver at the time of the offence, you may complete a statutory declaration nominating the driver - this is available from SA Police.

An expiation notice will then be re-issued to the nominated driver.

Overdue fines

If you have an overdue traffic fine, you may have your driver's licence suspended.

For more information about overdue fines:

Payment arrangements

Payment arrangements are available to help spread your payments over a longer period.

Payment arrangements -

Related information

Demerit points

Other websites

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 6 January 2023

Provided by:
Department for Infrastructure and Transport
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023