Independent inquiry into foster and kinship care in SA
Dr Fiona Arney was appointed as the independent person to lead the Independent Inquiry into Foster and Kinship Care.
Dr Arney has significant national and international experience in child protection spanning two decades and has served on multiple royal commissions and independent oversight bodies.
The Independent Inquiry into Foster and Kinship Care in South Australia has now been completed. The Inquiry received a total of 206 submissions including 149 from individual foster or kinship carers.
In accordance with Section 169A.3 of the Children and Young People (Safety) Act 2017, Dr Arney has provided a copy of the report of the inquiry to the Minister for Child Protection.
The report is available here: Independent Inquiry into Foster and Kinship Care
Terms of reference
The scope of this inquiry was determined under section 169A of the Children and Young People (Safety) Act 2017, and includes, but isn’t limited to:
- Existing complaint mechanisms as they relate to foster care and kinship care.
- Existing consultation processes with foster and kinship carers.
- Information sharing and the sharing of documentation with foster and kinship carers.
- Ensuring that there is sound partnership with foster and kinship carers and that the rights of children in foster and kinship care are respected, addressed and realised.
- Recommendations to improve foster and kinship care in South Australia.
The full terms of reference are available here: