Water and sewerage rate concession
Eligible South Australians on low or fixed incomes can receive help with water and sewerage rates.
If you own your principal place of residence, you may be eligible for water and sewerage concessions.
If you are a tenant, you may be eligible for water concessions if you pay for your water supply and/or all water usage for your principal place of residence.
You may be eligible if you have one of the following cards:
- a Pensioner Concession Card
- Gold Card from the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
- Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
- Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)
- War Widow
- DVA Gold Card issued to a person with 80 or more overall impairment points under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004
- Low Income Health Care Card
You receive one of the following eligible Centrelink payments:
- Newstart Allowance
- Sickness Allowance
- Widow Allowance
- Youth Allowance
- Partner Allowance
- Parenting Payment
- Special Benefit
- Community Development Employment Project (CDEP)
- New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS)
- Farm Household Allowance
- War widow pension under legislation of the United Kingdom or New Zealand
- You can demonstrate that you and your spouse or domestic partner meet low-income provisions in the low-income earners category.
If you live in a residential park you may be eligible for a combined concession for your water, sewerage and energy.
The water concession is calculated as up to 30% of your total water bill for a financial year, subject to the minimum and maximum amounts in the table below. The concession amount is indexed each financial year.
|Minimum for homeowner-occupier||$187.50|
|Maximum for homeowner-occupier||$298.90|
|Minimum for tenants who pay for all water usage and supply charges||$187.50|
|Maximum for tenants who pay for all water usage and supply charges||$298.90|
|Minimum for tenants who pay for all water usage only||$121.60|
|Maximum for tenants who pay for all water usage only||$233.10|
The maximum sewerage rate remission is $111.50 per annum. This amount is indexed each financial year.
Before you begin
- your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN), DVA pension number or a copy of your most recent tax assessment
- a copy of both sides of your Low Income Health Care Card (if you hold one)
- a copy of your most recent water bill showing the water charges.
You may also need to provide the following additional supporting information:
- If you are a private rental tenant, a copy of your residential tenancy agreement stating that you are responsible for the supply charge and/or the full cost of all water usage
- if you are connected to a community wastewater management system (CWMS), a copy of your council rates notice showing the CWMS charge.
Housing SA tenants do not need to provide a copy of their tenancy agreement or water bill.
How to apply
Complete the online household concessions form to apply for a concession on water and sewerage rates, energy bills and/or the Cost of Living Concession.
Update your details using the online household concessions form.
1. Complete the form
Download and complete concessions application form or phone the ConcessionsSA Hotline 1800 307 758 and ask for a form to be sent to you.
2. Submit the application
Email the form and supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Post (no postage stamp required) to:
Reply Paid 292
Adelaide SA 5001
What happens next
If your application is approved, your water or sewerage account will be automatically credited with the concession amount.
Applicants not with SA Water
If you are not a customer of SA Water, your concession will be paid directly into your bank account by electronic funds transfer (EFT).
ConcessionsSA Hotline - 1800 307 758
If you have a hearing or speech impairment - TTY 8226 6789
Interpreting and translating
To arrange an onsite or telephone interpreter, or to have a document translated, please call the Interpreting and Translating Centre (ITC) on 1800 280 203.
- South Australian Government Water and Sewerage Concession Scheme
- Hardship policy for residential customers of major water industry retailers
- Hardship policy for residential customers of minor and intermediate water industry retailers
Alternative versions of documents
Many documents are displayed as PDF files. If you have problems accessing documents in the PDF format, you can request a copy to be made available in an alternative format.