Public transport concessions

Concessions on public transport are available to:

  • South Australians, who:
    • are on low or fixed incomes and hold an approved concession card
    • receive an eligible Centrelink payment
    • hold a Seniors Card
  • asylum seekers residing in South Australia.

Approved concession cards

Some concession cards automatically entitle you to concession fares on Adelaide metro. Simply present your card when buying a ticket and carry the card with you when travelling.

If you receive an eligible Centrelink payment, but don't hold an approved concession card, you can apply for a transport concession card.

Transport concession card

Who can apply

You can apply for a transport concession card if you receive one of these payments from Centrelink:

  • Newstart Allowance
  • Youth Allowance
  • Community Development Employment Project (CDEP)
  • New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS)
  • Partner Allowance
  • Parenting Payment
  • Sickness Allowance
  • Special Benefit
  • Widow Allowance
  • Farm Household Allowance.

The transport concession card is valid for six months. You will automatically receive a replacement card if you are still eligible.

Transport concession card for asylum seekers

To receive a concession on public transport, eligible asylum seekers in South Australia need to hold a transport concession card.

If you are an asylum seeker, you can apply at any stage of your visa application if you:

  • are waiting to lodge an application for protection
  • have lodged an application for protection and are waiting for it to be processed
  • have had your application for protection refused and are seeking merits or judicial review.

Concession cards for asylum seekers are valid for one year from the date of issue. After one year, if you still meet the eligibility criteria, you will automatically receive a replacement card by mail.

If your visa status changes in that time, you must advise the Department for Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI) and return the card.

You may be eligible for transport concessions with a different concession card.

How to apply

1. Application form

Complete sections A and D of the Asylum Seeker Application for Transport Concession Card form (150.5 KB PDF)

2. Complete with Status Resolution Support Service (SSSR) provider

Complete and sign the application form with your SSSR provider

3. Submit the application

Post the form (no postage stamp required) to:

Reply Paid 292
Adelaide SA 5001

Or email

Using a transport concession card

You must carry your transport concession card when travelling on a concession fare and present it on request.

Your concession card can only be used by you and is not transferable to others.

The card remains the property of DCSI. Lost, stolen or damaged cards can only be replaced by contacting DCSI. Originals, if later found, must be returned to DCSI.

You must advise DCSI as soon as possible if you change your address, to enable DCSI to reissue your card.

It is your responsibility to ensure you continue to meet the ongoing eligibility requirements for your transport concession card. If you cease to be eligible, the card must be returned to DCSI.

How to apply


Complete the online application.

Apply now


1. Complete the form

Download and complete the Application for Transport Concession Card form (169.7 KB PDF) or phone the ConcessionsSA Hotline 1800 307 758 and ask for a form to be sent to you.

2. Submit the application

Email your application to

Post (no postage stamp required) to:

Reply Paid 292
Adelaide SA 5001




ConcessionsSA Hotline - 1800 307 758

If you have a hearing or speech impairment - TTY 8226 6789

Translating and interpreting

To arrange an onsite or telephone interpreter, or to have a document translated, please call the Interpreting and Translating Centre (ITC) on 1800 280 203.

Related information

Other websites


Alternative version of documents

Many documents are displayed as PDF files. If you have problems accessing PDF documents, email and ask for a copy in an alternative format.

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 8 September 2017

Provided by:
Department for Communities and Social Inclusion
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016