People who have recently experienced the death of a friend or family member and who cannot raise the funds for a funeral, after all options have been tried, may be eligible to receive a dignified funeral through Funeral AssistanceSA.
The funeral provided is normally a cremation service, except in certain cultural circumstances. If the requirements are for a burial, families may elect to pay the difference between a cremation and a burial.
The income, assets and liabilities of the deceased and their immediate relatives are taken into account when assessing eligibility for assistance through this program.
To be eligible you must prove all of the following.
- The deceased was a South Australian resident.
- The deceased was in receipt of a pension or benefit or was a low income recipient.
- The deceased's estate is estimated to be valued at less than $3,000 when liquidated (including life insurance, superannuation and shares).
- The deceased's immediate relatives are not in paid employment or are low income recipients.
- The deceased's immediate relatives have insufficient assets to cover the costs of funeral expenses (less than $3,000 of accessible funds).
The funeral must not yet have been arranged or, where a grant is sought after the event, the account must be moderate and not yet fully paid.
What is covered
Funeral AssistanceSA offers a dignified funeral, to eligible applicants, which includes:
- a weekday service at a church, chapel or graveside
- a 17-line funeral notice
- funeral director's fee
- cemetery or crematorium fees
- a basic coffin
- floral tribute for a coffin
- hearse transportation to the funeral
- religious minister or celebrant's fee
- preparation of relevant legal transfer documents
- legal certificate fees (not death certificate).
Please note that the interment lease for a cremation or burial plot is owned by Funeral AssistanceSA. Immediate family members may purchase the interment lease from Funeral AssistanceSA. For more information call Funeral AssistanceSA on 1300 762 577.
How to apply
1. Complete the form
Fill out Request for funeral assistance or phone Funeral AssistanceSA on 1300 762 577 and ask for a form to be sent to you.
If you haven't already made arrangements for the funeral with a private funeral director, you may be eligible for assistance that provides a dignified funeral in both metropolitan and country regions of South Australia.
If you have already contracted a private funeral director and have received an account for funeral expenses which has not yet been fully paid, you may be eligible to receive a small grant paid to the funeral director to help pay the funeral costs.
2. Submit the application
Phone - 1300 762 577
Email - FuneralAssistanceSA@sa.gov.au
Interpreting and translating
To arrange an on-site or telephone interpreter, or to have a document translated, please call the Interpreting and Translating Centre (ITC) on 1800 280 203.