Water and sewerage rate concession

Due to Covid-19, changes are being made to the way some services are delivered. To apply for household concessions, use the online application form. Processing delays will apply to applications received by post.

Eligible South Australians on low or fixed incomes can receive help with water and sewerage rates.


You must:

  • own or rent your principal place of residence
  • pay for water supply and/or all water usage
  • hold an eligible card, receive an eligible Centrelink payment or meet low income provisions.

Eligible cards

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Gold Card from the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
    • Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
    • Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)
    • War Widow
    • issued to a person with 80 or more overall impairment points under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004
  • Low Income Health Care Card

Eligible Centrelink payments

  • JobSeeker Payment
  • Widow Allowance
  • Youth Allowance
  • Partner Allowance
  • Parenting Payment
  • Special Benefit
  • Community Development Project (CDP)
  • New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS)
  • Austudy
  • Farm Household Allowance (FHA)
  • War widow pension under legislation of the United Kingdom or New Zealand.

Low income provisions

You must demonstrate that you and your spouse or domestic partner meet low-income provisions.

Residential parks

If you live in a residential park, you may be eligible for a combined concession for your water, sewerage and energy.

Water concession

The water concession is calculated as up to 30% of your total water bill for a financial year, subject to the minimum and maximum amounts in the table below. The concession amount is indexed each financial year.


Amount (2020/21)

Minimum for homeowner-occupier $199.00
Maximum for homeowner-occupier  $317.30
Minimum for tenants who pay for all water usage and supply charges $199.00
Maximum for tenants who pay for all water usage and supply charges $317.30
Minimum for tenants who pay for all water usage only $129.10
Maximum for tenants who pay for all water usage only $247.40

Sewerage concession

The maximum sewerage rate remission is $118.40 per annum. This amount is indexed each financial year.

Note: tenants are not eligible for a concession on sewerage rates.


Information about water and other charges should be included in your lease agreement. You may be separately billed for water supply and/or usage even if nothing is written in your agreement.

You may be charged quarterly or as part of your weekly rent.

Check your agreement or separate water bill for charges for:

  • supply – a set quarterly amount
  • usage – payment per kilolitre (kL) used
  • excess or partial usage – charges for water above a set kL limit.

What you'll need

You'll need:

  • your Centrelink customer reference number (CRN), DVA file number or a copy of your most recent tax assessment
  • your SA Water account number (SA Water customers only).

How to apply


Complete the household concessions form to apply for a concession on water and sewerage rates, energy bills, the Cost of Living Concession, and the Emergency Services Levy Remission.

Apply for concessions. Start now

Update your details using the online household concessions form.


1. Complete the form

Download and complete the application for household concessions (271.5 KB PDF) or contact ConcessionsSA and ask for a form to be sent to you.

2. Submit the application

Email the form to concessions@sa.gov.au

What happens next

Applicants with SA Water

If your application is approved, your water or sewerage account will be automatically credited with the concession amount.

Applicants not with SA Water

If you are not a customer of SA Water, your concession will be paid directly into your bank account by electronic funds transfer (EFT).

Top up payments

Top up payments are an additional annual payment made when water bills for a full financial year exceed certain amounts.

To be eligible, your bill/s for the 2019/20 financial year must be more than the amount shown below.

Tenants who pay only for all water usage

over $421.33

Tenants who pay for all water usage and supply charges over $649.67
Homeowners over $649.67

Top ups are automatically applied to eligible SA Water customers.

Homeowners with council or privately supplied water and private tenants must provide bill/s for the whole financial year to receive a top up payment. Bill/s must clearly show amounts charged for water.

Phone the ConcessionsSA Hotline to find out if you are eligible for a top up payment.




ConcessionsSA Hotline (9.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday) - 1800 307 758

Interpreting and translating

To arrange an onsite or telephone interpreter, or to have a document translated, please call the Interpreting and Translating Centre (ITC) on 1800 280 203.

Related information

On this site

Concession finder


Alternative versions of documents

Many documents are displayed as PDF files. If you have problems accessing documents in the PDF format, you can request a copy to be made available in an alternative format.

Email concessions@sa.gov.au

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 1 July 2020

Provided by:
Department of Human Services
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2020