Landlord or mortgagee taking over a licence

A landlord, mortgagee or other person can carry on the business of a liquor licence and gaming machine licence (if one exists) if the licensee or tenant stops occupying the premises.

If you take over a liquor licence, you must notify the Liquor and Gambling Commissioner within seven days.

If you intend to carry on business for longer than one month, you must seek approval from the licensing authority. Generally, approval to carry on for longer than six months will not be granted.

When applying you'll need to meet certain requirements and provide a range of documents.

What you'll need

Fee: $143.00

What you'll need


To apply to take over a liquor licence you'll need to upload these documents (a clear photo is acceptable):

  • the certificate of title
  • evidence that the licensee has ceased to occupy the premises/business - eg:
    • deed of termination of lease
    • notice of re-entry
    • written evidence of licensee's intention to vacate the premises.

If you're applying to carry on the business of a gaming licence you'll need to also provide:

What happens next

You can log in to LGO at any time to track the progress of your application.

You'll also receive periodic email notifications asking you to log in to receive important information such as the date that your application will be considered (determination date).

Contact CBS Liquor and Gaming


Phone: 131 882

GPO Box 2169
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 16 February 2023

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023