Security agent licence

You must hold a security agent's licence if, as an individual, partner in a business or company (including all directors), you contract services for:

  • crowd or venue control
  • installing and maintaining security systems
  • guarding property or people
  • security systems sales and advice.

Some professions don't need a licence , such as law enforcement officers and legal practitioners.

If you'll be training people to be licensed agents, you must add security agent trainer to your licence application.

Licence categories for security and investigation agents (107KB PDF)

Apply for a licence

You can also change your current licence - eg add the security agent trainer sub-category.

What you'll need


Who can apply


Sole traders, partners and companies (including directors) can apply unless you have legal restrictions on your work or business, such as bankruptcy, financial receivership, suspended or disqualified trade licence.

You or your company can't apply if you were a director of a company that was wound up to benefit creditors in the last five years, including if you were a director six months before winding-up started.


You can apply as an employee if you're qualified and haven't been disqualified or suspended from holding a trade or business licence.

Offences and convictions

You may not be able to register if you (or a director of the company) have been convicted of a:

  • Category A offence - serious (indictable) offence of dishonesty
  • Category B offence - summary offence of dishonesty in the last ten years.

Refer to offences and convictions for detail about these types of offences.

What you'll need

Knowledge and experience

Check you have the right knowledge and experience to apply for a security or investigation agents licence.

There are a number of places that offer training for the security industry (PDF).

If you have a qualification that's no longer recognised, you must apply for recognition of prior learning (RPL).

Companies must have a manager who holds a relevant licence, or more than one manager if their combined licences cover all the company's licence conditions.


Sole traders, partners in a business and companies must have at least $10,000 in net assets.

You can apply for a restricted licence to work with a licensed business partner if you don’t have all the knowledge and qualifications.

Personal information declaration

Security agents must complete a personal information declaration (PID) form (316KB PDF) if one hasn't been provided for another current licence.

People who have lived overseas in the last two years must provide a police certificate from the country where you lived, and a copy of your passport. If you can't provide the overseas certificate, complete a statutory declaration and include a copy of your visa grant notice.


Individual - employee, employee under supervision or security industry trainer


  • Interstate or NZ licence recognised in SA


Individual -business


  • Interstate or NZ licence recognised in SA


Body corporate (company)


Application for alteration to conditions


What happens next

As part of the application process, South Australia Police will contact you to arrange fingerprinting. South Australia Police will contact you using the email address provided on your application.

Application processing times

You must have your security agent's licence before you can apply for a H6 firearms licence through South Australia Police.

Digital licences

You can download your licence or registration to an Apple or Android smart phone or tablet using the mySAGOV app.

Changes that affect your licence

Notify Consumer and Business Services (CBS) within 14 days if you have committed an offence or have had legal restrictions placed on your work or business, such as bankruptcy, financial receivership, suspended or disqualified work licence.

You will also need to advise CBS when you:

Contact CBS licensing


Phone131 882 and press 4

Page last updated 30 March 2023

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023