Keeping dangerous substances or selling petrol

Licences are needed to:

  • keep a dangerous substance
  • sell petroleum products.

Who should apply

Anyone who intends to store LP gas, class 3, 6 and 8 when certain limits are exceeded, must apply for a licence.

Anyone who intends to sell class 3 motor spirits to the public must have a licence.

How to apply

1. Application form

Download an application form from the SafeWork SA website.

2. Lodgement

Lodge the signed application with SafeWork SA, along with the specified fee and any supporting documentation indicated in the application form.

SafeWork SA contact details and office locations


Fees are variable and contained in the fees information sheet found on the SafeWork SA website.


Licences must be renewed:

  • keeping dangerous substances - annually
  • selling petroleum products - every two years.

Renew your licence online

Related information

On this site


Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 17 November 2022

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023