Licence to transport dangerous goods

Both the vehicle and the driver must be licensed when the vehicle is used to transport:

  • dangerous goods in a receptacle with a capacity of more than 500 litres
  • more than 500 kilograms of dangerous goods in a receptacle.

Who should apply

Any vehicle or driver transporting dangerous goods in the prescribed quantities must be licensed.

A licence is not required, when the dangerous goods are transported in intermediate bulk containers (IBCs) with a total capacity of IBCs up to 3,000 litres, provided they are not filled or emptied while on the vehicle.

How to apply

1. Application form

Download the application forms from the SafeWork SA website.

Alternatively, contact SafeWork SA by phoning 1300 365 255.

2. Lodgement

Lodge the application with SafeWork SA with all of the supporting documentation indicated in your application.

SafeWork SA contact details

Renewing your licence

Licences must be renewed every three years for drivers. Vehicle licences are issued for one to three years, after which it is necessary to renew them.

To renew your licence, download and complete a new application form.

Related information

Other websites


Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 17 November 2022

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023