Certificate of approval for proposed premises

If your venue hasn't been built, or is under construction, you can't be granted a gaming machine licence, but the Commissioner for Liquor and Gambling may grant a certificate of approval.

When a certificate may be granted

A certificate of approval may be granted if:

  • the premises is close to completion
  • granting the licence is in the community interest
  • according to your plans:
    • the gaming area or areas within the premises will be suitable for the proper conduct of gaming operations
    • there will be adequate security for the premises, gaming area(s) and machines
    • the venue won't result in undue offence, annoyance, disturbance or inconvenience to those who live, work or worship nearby
    • the gaming operations won't detract from the character of the premises, or the enjoyment of people  who ordinarily use the premises
    • no gaming area is designed or situated so that it will attract minors
    • the proposed gaming area is enclosed.
  • any approvals, consents or exemptions have been obtained.

The certificate of approval:

  • may be for a certain period
  • will include conditions
  • must state the maximum number of gaming machines that will be operated under the licence.

What happens next

Once the premises is finished, you'll need to give a certificate of occupancy to Consumer and Business Services (CBS) and make sure you have complied with all conditions.

The commissioner can then grant you a gaming machine licence.

Contact CBS Liquor and Gaming

Email: liquorandgaming@sa.gov.au

Phone: 131 882

GPO Box 2169
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 21 October 2021

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023