Lease agreements

Ending your public housing tenancy

Public housing tenants must give Housing SA a minimum of two weeks' written notice that they are leaving. Housing SA tenancies start on a Saturday and end on a Friday. The termination date on a Termination of Tenancy form must be a Friday at least two weeks after you give notice.

Complete a termination of tenancy form (89.9 KB PDF) and return it to Housing SA.

If you need to leave your property for a short period of time such as going interstate to care for a relative, you may not need to end your tenancy. You may be able to make other arrangements - eg appointing a caretaker to look after your home until you return.

Making changes

If you need to change or cancel a termination of tenancy request you can do so by phoning or attending your local Housing SA office.

Final inspections

After your termination of tenancy has been lodged, Housing SA will contact you to organise a final inspection. It is important that you attend this appointment.

The current state of the property will be compared to the inspection sheet you completed when you moved in. They will take into consideration how long you have lived there and reasonable wear and tear.

You may find it helpful to review your copy of the original inspection sheet before the final inspection. You may be able to fix small items before the inspection and avoid having to pay for them to be repaired by Housing SA.

If you have any questions about this process or are unable to attend the final inspection contact Housing SA.

Your responsibilities when you leave the property

You are responsible for:

  • making sure your account is paid up to the date you leave, including maintenance and water charges
  • removing any alterations that Housing SA hasn't given you approval to leave at the property, and repairing any damage caused by their removal - eg filling and painting over holes caused by putting up shelving units
  • removing all of your belongings and clearing rubbish
  • organising for services to be disconnected and mail to be redirected
  • leaving the property in a clean state.

Reference letter

If you were the head tenant you may request a tenant reference letter once you've moved out of your public housing property. A reference may assist you to secure another rental property if the landlord requires a rental history.

Credit in a Housing SA account

Any credit left in your account after any charges have been deducted will be refunded to you by cheque within eight weeks of the date you leave.

Abandoned goods

Anything you have left behind after leaving the property will be treated as abandoned goods and you may be charged for their removal or disposal. Items will be dealt with as follows:

  • sentimental items can be collected within six months from your local Housing SA office
  • items of little value or perishable items - food, toys, will be disposed of or donated to charity
  • if the cost of removing, storing and selling abandoned goods is less than their estimated value, Housing SA will put the goods in storage for 60 days - after this time they will be sold in a public auction and the money will be used to pay any debt you owe Housing SA.

You will be charged if you leave any furniture or rubbish behind. Contact your local council to find out how to get rid of unwanted items.

What if you want to return

Once you have moved out you won't be able to return.

If you want to be rehoused in public housing you will need to submit a new registration.

Related information

On this site

For an alternative version of a document on this page contact Housing SA.

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 8 May 2017

Provided by:
Department for Communities and Social Inclusion
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016