Working and workers' rights

Problems at work

If you have a problem at work that you can't resolve, assistance and support are available.

If you feel physically threatened and need help, phone the police on 131 444.


You are protected by law against discrimination on a range of grounds including age, gender and race. If you think you're a victim of unlawful discrimination, visit Equal Opportunity Commission.

Apprentices and trainees

If you are an apprentice or trainee and you have a problem, a disagreement or a dispute with your employer, contact a consultant at Traineeship and Apprenticeship Services for impartial advice.


Your employer should have a policy and complaints procedure for workplace bullying. It should set out the processes available to you and a contact officer for you to go to with your complaint.

Find practical advice on dealing with workplace bullying at Safe Work Australia.

Unfair dismissal

If an employer fires a worker without a valid reason they may be breaking the law. Find out what unfair dismissal and termination mean under federal and state law, and what action employees can take.

Read the Industrial Relations Commission's guide to unfair dismissal mattersfor more information.

The Fairwork Ombudsman website can help with information about unfair dismissal, unlawful termination, and your pay or employment conditions.


Learn about the rules governing termination of employment and find out about the required notice of termination and your entitlements.

Retrenchment or redundancy

The Fair Work Act 2009 provides for the payment of redundancy pay if you are made redundant under certain circumstances and specifies the amounts payable depending on length of service. The Fairwork Ombudsman website explains redundancy and how much you should be paid.

If you have been made retrenched or are facing retrenchment, including from the automotive manufacturing industry, support is available to help you transition to a new job or career. For more information about services available, visit WorkReady.

Assistance after retrenchment or redundancy - Department of Human Services.

Workplace injury

Workplace safety laws protect your health and safety at work, and services are available to help you if you are injured.

Report an injury or start a work injury claim by calling your claims agent, or ReturnToWorkSA on 13 18 55 Monday to Friday between 8:30 am – 5:00 pm.

Read about what to do when an injury occurs at the ReturnToWorkSA website.

Assistance for disabled employees

If you're an employee with a disability looking for support to maintain employment, and advice on workplace modifications and equipment:

Assistance from unions

Unions represent workers, and can often help with information and support in relation to pay, conditions and safety at work.

Visit SA Unions.

Assistance for young workers

Young workers under 30 can receive free work-related advice and support.

Visit the Young Workers Legal Service website.

Related information

Other websites

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 24 May 2017

Provided by:
Department for Industry and Skills
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2018