Apply to become a Justice of the Peace
A justice of the peace (JP) acts as an independent and objective witness to documents people use for official or legal purposes.
When applying you'll need to meet the eligibility criteria and provide at least two written references as to your good character, reputation and standing in the community.
Who can apply
To be eligible for appointment as a justice of the peace (JP) in South Australia, you must:
- be at least 18 years of age
- be an Australian citizen
- be resident in South Australia
- be of good character
- not be bankrupt or have applied as a debtor to take the benefit of the laws relating to bankruptcy
- not be disqualified from managing or being involved in the management of any company under the Corporations Act 2001 of the Commonwealth
- be able to understand the duties and powers of a justice
- be able to speak, read and write in English
- live or work in an area or community in which there is a need for a JP.
What happens next
You'll receive an email containing instructions about what to do next.
Your referees are sent an email to provide a reference and a report will be obtained from SA Police.
If all eligibility criteria are met, your application will be submitted to the Attorney-General or the Attorney-General's delegate for consideration and, if approved, you will be appointed as a JP.
Your appointment is published in the SA Government Gazette and you'll receive written notification of your appointment together with an oaths form. You must take the oath of allegiance and the judicial oath within three months of your appointment date. The original form must be posted back to Justice of the Peace Services. You cannot exercise your duties as a JP until you take the oaths.
On receipt of your oaths form, you'll be sent an appointment package containing your appointment certificate, your JP identification number and links to the JP handbook and the code of conduct.
Contact Justice of the Peace Services
Phone: 131 882
Justice of the Peace Services - Attorney-General's Department