Hiring a communication partner

Agencies and legal professionals that hire a communication partner must make sure the person they hire:

They must also:

  • inform the communication partner about the role and the services needed for the specific job
  • agree to the cost of the service and to pay those costs.

Engaging a communication partner (PDF 1517KB)


People who can act as communication partners include:

  • certified speech pathologists (members of Speech Pathology Australia)
  • registered occupational therapists
  • psychologists registered with the Psychology Board of Australia
  • developmental educators who are full members of Developmental Educators Australia Incorporated
  • social workers with a membership status with the Australian Association of Social Workers.

The communication partner must:

Communication partners may charge a fee for their services and the person who hires the partner is responsible for payment.

A guide for communication partners (PDF 1212KB)

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 23 January 2023

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023