At 6:00 pm on Tuesday 20 July, South Australia commenced a 7 day lockdown. Learn about restrictions.
Outback road names
To make properties in outback areas easier to find, the government has renamed most outback roads.
- assist emergency services - eg ambulance, and other service providers to find properties
- improve the delivery of services - provide a certainty of location and a recognised address that can be understood nationally.
How names were chosen
Renaming roads followed these principles:
- eliminated dual directional road names - eg Iron Knob - Puddle Holes Dam Road
- the furthest homestead name was commonly used to rename the entire road from the main road where possible
- when an outback road continues into a council area, the council's road name was used where practical - eg Yednalue Road.
Existing signage to homesteads will remain. New signs for renamed roads will be installed when the existing sign is replaced as part of routine road maintenance.