South Australia's planning policies
Development plans contain policies that describe what kinds of development are appropriate in council areas and where they may occur.
The Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure has developed a set of planning policies that are common to many development plans in South Australia.
The South Australian Planning Policy Library
The state's current planning policies are contained in the South Australian Planning Policy Library. The library encourages best practice policy application and a consistent development plan format across the state. It also makes it easier and faster for councils to update their development plans and for government agencies to assess proposed amendments.
Guides and information resources
Technical information sheets
A series of technical information sheets are available to assist the interpretation and use of the planning policy library.
Planning policy guides
Guides related to planning policy include:
- South Australian planning policy library terminology list
- Guide to development plans and amendments
- Desired character statements
- Practitioners Guide to Correcting Errors in Development Plans (Section 29 Amendments)
- Aquaculture policy
- Design guidelines for reducing noise and air impacts from road rail and mixed land use .
The guides are updated periodically to ensure consistency with the Library.