Grants for public space
The 2018-19 funding round is now open
Councils across South Australia are invited to apply for funding of eligible projects through the Open Space and Places for People grant program. Applications close at 3.00 pm on Friday 8 February 2019.
Grant funding opportunities are available for local government through two grant programs (Open Space and Places for People).
Grants are provided annually to local government, with councils throughout the state invited to apply for funding of eligible projects.
Funds are available on a dollar-for-dollar basis and are for the planning and development of significant open space and public realm initiatives or for the purchase of strategic open space.
Open Space grants
The objectives of the Open Space Program are to:
- Assist in conservation, enhancement and enjoyment of natural, cultural and regional open spaces to help communities better use existing green spaces.
- Promote unstructured recreation opportunities compatible with the surrounding environment.
Places for People grants
The objectives of the Places for People Program are to:
- Increase the useability and function of the public realm through innovative and creative design outcomes.
- Create or revitalise public spaces that are important to the social, cultural and economic life of their communities.
- Applications may only be made by local governments or from organisations representing out of council areas (not by community groups or private organisations).
- Projects should have at least a 50% funding contribution from the council.
- Projects must be carried out on land that is freely accessible to the public.
- Projects must be able to be completed within 18 months of grant funding approval.
- Projects should be able to commence within two months of grant funding approval.
- Councils should have met all acquittal conditions for previous funding.
- Funding is only available for new works - retrospective funding is not available for projects, studies or land purchases undertaken prior to grant funding approval.
For more information, download the Open Space and Places for People Grant Guidelines .