Choosing a qualified builder or tradesperson
If you are building, extending or renovating your property, find out about your builder’s reputation and check their qualifications before you hire them. You can:
- ask people you trust to recommend someone
- get at least three quotes using the same plans
- check the public licensing register to make sure they are licenced in South Australia
- check the assurances register to see if Consumer and Business Services (CBS) has had concerns about their work
- ask the builder for three references from people who have recently had work done, then check the quality
- check reliable building reviews online.
Building work contractors must have building indemnity insurance if they are doing work that needs council approval and costs $12,000 or more.
Check the public licensing register
Many trade businesses must be licensed with CBS to carry out building work in South Australia. Ask the tradesperson to show you their licence card or you can:
- Check that a company or person is licensed with CBS
- Check that an interstate or New Zealand trained tradesperson is licensed to work in SA.
Don’t sign a building contract unless you have:
- read it
- understand it
- agreed with it.
If there is something you don't understand, ask the builder to explain it or ask CBS for advice.
Builders and tradespeople can ask for a deposit before they start work on a property. There is no limit on a deposit for jobs that cost less than $12,000, but more than $1,000 is usually unreasonable. The legal limits for jobs costing more than $12,000 are:
- $12,000 to $20,000 – no more than $1,000 deposit
- More than $20,000 – no more than five percent of the total
Builders can also ask you to pay for things like council approval and soil testing. It is risky to make any other payments upfront.
Then once the building work has started, only pay for completed work when you receive an invoice.
Reporting a tradesperson
Builders and tradespeople can only do the type of work they are qualified and licensed to carry out. If you are concerned about someone doing unlicensed work, phone 131 882 or report online and CBS will investigate.
On this site
Disputes with a builder or tradesperson
Using a licensed electrician and electrical certificates of compliance
Using a licensed gas fitter and gas certificates of compliance
Plumbing certificates of compliance