Engaging building industry professionals

Complaints about a private certifier or council

Private certifiers and councils must comply with the Development Act 1993 and Development Regulations 2008 .

All private certifiers registered in South Australia must also abide by the standards of professional conduct set out in the code of practice - (71.7 KB PDF).

If you feel that your private certifier or council has failed to comply with or violated the Act, Regulations or the Code of Practice then you may lodge a complaint with the Minister for Planning.

A complaint must:

  • be in writing
  • contain particulars of the allegations on which the complaint is based
  • be verified by statutory declaration (11.2 KB PDF), which means that the statement of claim must be witnessed by a Justice of the Peace.

Related information

On this site

Using a private certifier


What is private building certification - (183.3 KB PDF)

For an alternative version of any document on this page, see planning contacts.

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 16 March 2018

Provided by:
Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2019