Maps to assist with technical building issues
Climate zone maps
These maps have been developed for use in conjunction with the Building Code of Australia to illustrate the various climate zones in regions across South Australia.
To help determine what building requirements need to be met in each area, South Australia has been divided into three climate zones. Generally speaking:
- South Australia climate zone map
- Adelaide Hills council climate zone map
- Regional council of Goyder climate zone map
- Barossa council climate zone map
Design wind speed maps
These maps are used in conjunction with the Building Code of Australia to illustrate the various wind speed categories that apply across the Adelaide metropolitan, outer metropolitan and country areas.
Wind speed categories are used by the building industry as a basis for determining the degree of structural restraint required for Class 1a and 10a buildings. If there is no map covering your location, contact the local council for more information; an individual site assessment may be required.
- Design wind speed Adelaide metro area
- Design wind speed Ceduna
- Design wind speed Mount Gambier
- Design wind speed Franklin Harbour
- Design wind speed Kingston
- Design wind speed Victor Harbor
- Design wind speed Whyalla
- Design wind speed Naracoorte
- Design wind speed Robe
Bushfire protection area maps
Maps of bushfire protection areas can be located in individual council development plans, Location SA Map Viewer or Property Location Browser. Bushfire protection areas can also be downloaded as a spatial layer from Data.SA.
Earthquake hazard zones map
The earthquake hazard zones SA map is used in conjunction with the Building Code of Australia to determine the design of domestic structures in accordance with Appendix A Domestic Structures (Housing) of AS 1170.4.
Corrosion environment maps
These maps are used in conjunction with the Building Code of Australia to illustrate the areas of coastline subject to breaking surf. Areas defined on the maps that are located within one kilometre of the coastline and 10 kilometres of breaking surf are subject to corrosion protection requirements.
The maps are used by the building industry as a basis for determining the degree of corrosion protection requirements for Class 1a and 10a buildings.
- Corrosion environment Lower Yorke Peninsula and Kangaroo Island
- Corrosion environment Limestone Coast
- Corrosion environment Mid West Eyre Peninsula
- Corrosion environment Far West Eyre Peninsula
- Corrosion environment Lower Eyre Peninsula
- Corrosion environment Fleurieu Peninsula and The Coorong
Energy efficiency concession areas map
The energy efficiency concession areas map is used in conjunction with the Building Code of Australia and illustrates the areas of the state that may be eligible for an energy efficiency concession for certain types of buildings.
Noise and air emissions overlay maps
These overlay maps spatially designate the sources of noise from major road, rail and mixed land use zones and illustrate where the requirements of Ministers Specification SA 78B apply. The requirements apply to new and additions to existing Class 1, 2, 3 and 4 buildings and 9c aged care buildings to be constructed in South Australia.
The maps are developed and incorporated in development plans where applicable.