Barossa Valley and McLaren Vale protection legislation
Two Acts to protect the special character of the Barossa Valley and McLaren Vale were proclaimed by notice in the South Australian Government Gazette on 17 January and come into effect on 18 January 2013:
Background about the Acts can be found in the Second Reading Speeches to the South Australian Parliament in April 2012 by the Minister for Planning:
- Speech: Barossa Valley Character Protection Bill 2012 -
- Speech: McLaren Vale Character Protection Bill 2012 - .
The introduction of the Acts coincides with the minister's decision on the Barossa Valley and McLaren Vale Revised Protection amendment on 18 January 2013.
An amendment to the South Australian Planning Strategy to recognise the special character of the Barossa Valley and McLaren Vale was proposed by the minister in August-October 2013. The development plans affected will be reviewed once the outcome of the proposal is determined.
Maps of the areas affected
Areas affected by the Acts are shown in:
- Barossa Valley and McLaren Vale protection districts 2012 map -
- Barossa Valley protection district 2012 map -
- McLaren Vale protection district 2012 map -
To view the Google Earth files, you must have Google Earth installed on your computer.
- Google Earth: Barossa Valley protection district 2012
- Google Earth: McLaren Vale protection district 2012
The public was invited to make submissions during two rounds:
- on initial discussion papers describing the proposed protection legislation (consultation closed on 22 July 2011)
- on first draft Bills (consultation closed on 28 October 2011).
For an alternative version of the documents on this page see Planning contacts - Development plans and amendments.