At 6:00 pm on Tuesday 20 July, South Australia commenced a 7 day lockdown. Learn about restrictions.
A Torrens title is a single certificate of title for an allotment of land. It is the most common type of title in South Australia. All transactions such as transfers of ownership are registered on the certificate of title.
The Torrens title certificate shows:
- details of who currently owns the property
- any easements - eg for water pipes, registered on the property
- any encumbrances - eg mortgages, registered on the property
- the title's unique reference details - eg volume and folio numbers.
A record of all Torrens title properties are held by the Lands Titles Office and a potential buyer can check the records for any property through SAILIS.
Recent amendments to the Real Property Act 1886 have fundamentally changed the way a property conveyance is undertaken. The catalyst for these changes was the introduction of Electronic Conveyancing, with the associated reforms aligning the requirements for documents lodged electronically and in paper. The amendments relate to:
- Registrar General's statutory requirements
- National electronic conveyancing.