Get the most recent information on South Australia's response to the Coronavirus pandemic.

Subdivision and amalgamation


Amalgamation can relate to the combining of:

  • one or more allotments to create one single parcel of land
  • assessments for two or more allotments adjacent to one another and used as one property, to create a single property valuation assessment.

A plan for an amalgamation of land must be lodged with Land Services SA and will only be considered if:

  • the allotments are next to each other and are not physically separated ie adjoining land
  • land ownership and any registered estates or interests is the same for all allotments
  • the result is one allotment.

Subdividing land

The process for subdividing land can be time-consuming, complex and expensive. You can choose to submit the application yourself but as this is a complex process it is strongly recommended you get a professional licensed surveyor and a conveyancer or solicitor to:

  • determine the planning and development requirements
  • draft plans
  • lodge all applications and necessary paperwork
  • monitor the progress of the application
  • help explain the land division process .

See the SA Planning portal and SA Planning commission for more information.

A surveyor will prepare the plan and necessary paperwork to lodge with SCAP and a conveyancer or solicitor will prepare the necessary application to be lodged with Land Services SA.

Related information

On this site

SAILIS - About the South Australian Integrated Land Information System (SAILIS) has up to date information about land and property titles in South Australia. This information is needed for property transactions like transferring ownership of a property or changing the name on a Certificate of Title.

Other websites

Page last updated 28 February 2019

Provided by:
Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2020