Transfers and relocations

Register for a public housing transfer or tenant exchange

If you want to move to a different public or Aboriginal housing property you may be able to register for a transfer or tenant exchange.

A registration for transfer is placed on the housing register and prioritised based on the needs of the household.

A tenant exchange involves the tenant finding another public housing tenant to swap properties with.

Register for a transfer

You're eligible for a transfer if you either:

  • have lived in your current property for at least three years
  • are eligible for category one or two.

1. Complete a registration for transfer

Complete a registration for transfer (111.8 KB PDF).

2. Provide proof of identity

Provide proof of identity for anyone in your household aged 16 and over who hasn't previously given Housing SA their proof of identity.

3. Transferring to Aboriginal housing

If you're registering to transfer from public to Aboriginal housing, complete a confirmation of Aboriginality (256.8 KB PDF) form.

4. Return documents

Return all documents to Housing SA.

You can cancel or update your registration for transfer at any time by contacting Housing SA.

Register for tenant exchange

You're eligible to register for a tenant exchange if:

  • you're a current Housing SA tenant
  • your lease agreement is either for five years or more, or an ongoing lease agreement
  • you don’t have any active, serious and substantiated complaints for disruptive behaviour.

1. Register for tenant exchange

Complete a tenant exchange registration form (70.4 KB PDF) and return it to Housing SA.

You can cancel or update your registration for tenant exchange at any time by contacting Housing SA.

2. Find a house to swap

Search the tenant exchange register available at any Housing SA regional office for the properties and areas you'd like to move to.

Information in the register includes:

  • number of bedrooms
  • type of property
  • location
  • details of any special features - eg carport
  • a tenant exchange number.

When you find a property you're interested in, contact Housing SA with the property's tenant exchange number. Housing SA will give you a contact number for the tenant.

3. View the property

Contact the tenant and arrange a time to see their property, and let them come to see yours.

4. Get approval to exchange properties

Once you've both decided you want to exchange properties, contact Housing SA.

You can't move until Housing SA approves it.

Housing SA approves tenant exchanges if both tenants meet all of the below conditions:

  • the properties are suitable for the household - eg enough bedrooms
  • they're eligible for the property they want to swap to - eg a single person isn't eligible to move into a house with four bedrooms.

Housing SA won't approve a tenant exchange if:

  • one of the tenants isn't eligible for a tenant exchange - eg has a probationary lease agreement
  • moving one of the tenants into the property would break the conditions of an intervention order
  • one of the tenants has a debt to Housing SA, or hasn't maintained a debt arrangement for at least six months before the exchange
  • one of the tenants is bankrupt with a debt, except if they've had a debt arrangement in place for at least six months before the exchange.

Things to consider

Before you agree to exchange properties, make sure you're happy with the property’s size, location and condition.

You'll need to pay:

  • a deposit for the new property
  • water charges up to the date you leave your current property
  • any charges for non-fair wear and tear maintenance at your current property.

Related information

On this site

For an alternative version of a document on this page contact Housing SA.

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 17 May 2018

Provided by:
Department of Human Services
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2018