Rent, water and other charges

Water charges and concessions in public rental properties

Water charges

If your public rental property has a separate meter, you pay for the amount of water you use.

If your property has a shared water meter, the first 30% of the total water bill for the group is paid by Housing SA and the rest is divided up equally among the properties that share the meter.

SA Water sets the charges for water and reads the meter.


Housing SA will invoice you for the cost of water you use. If you don't pay your water bill, this will become a debt that you owe Housing SA. If you are having trouble paying your water bill you can make an affordable repayment arrangement with Housing SA.

Damage to meters

If you, someone in your household or your guest accidentally or intentionally damage a water meter you will be charged for the cost of repairing or replacing it as a maintenance charge.


To be eligible for a concession you must be able to demonstrate that you, your spouse or domestic partner are on a low income, or have one of these cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Department of Veterans Affairs Gold Card
  • Centrelink Low Income Health Care Card.

Check your eligibility and apply for state government concessions using the Concessions finder.

Special circumstances for water use

If you or someone in your household has a medical condition or a particular need that requires the use of a lot of water, Housing SA will take this into consideration.

Special circumstances can include:

  • medical issues - eg kidney disease requiring home dialysis
  • severe or long-term disability - eg needing frequent baths to maintain core body temperature.

Contact Housing SA to apply for special consideration.

Using water wisely

Sensible water use is encouraged at all times under Water Wise Measures.

If you are concerned about someone's misuse of water during water restriction periods call the Water Restriction Hotline on phone 1800 130 952.

Related information

On this site

Other websites

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 11 July 2018

Provided by:
South Australian Housing Authority
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2018