Rent, water and other charges

Maintenance charges in public housing

All damage to your home must be reported to Housing SA maintenance regardless of whether it was caused by:

  • someone in your household
  • someone else
  • natural disaster
  • accident.

Repairing damage to your home caused by fair wear and tear - eg leaking taps, cracked tiles, rusted flyscreens, worn floor coverings, faulty power points or light switches, won't be charged to you. Fair wear and tear are usually caused by the age of the property and its reasonable use.

You will be charged for repairs that are:

  • an accident - eg a broken window
  • caused by negligence - eg not keeping the property clean and in good condition
  • intentional damage caused by you, a household member or a visitor.

Some examples of these charges include:

  • damage to floors and coverings - eg cigarette burns, scuff marks and scratches
  • damage to kitchen benches - eg scorch marks
  • marks and stains on walls
  • holes or damage created by putting in or removing nails, plugs or screws
  • oil or grease stains in driveways or footpaths
  • tears and rips in fly screens.

Maintenance can be organised by contacting Housing SA maintenance:

  • by phone 131 288 between 7.00 am and 7.00 pm
  • online.

    Emergency repairs - eg gas leaks, can be reported to 131 288 at any time.

What to do if the damage was caused by someone else

If the damage was caused illegally by someone else - eg your bin was stolen, a window was broken:

  1. Report it to the police and request a police report number.
  2. Provide the police report number to Housing SA maintenance when you report the damage.

If someone in your household or a visitor causes damage to the property you are responsible for the cost to repair it.

Disputing a maintenance charge

To dispute maintenance charges, contact Housing SA maintenance.

Related information

On this site

Requesting repairs to public housing properties

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 30 November 2016

Provided by:
Department of Human Services
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2018