Apply for subsidised rent in public housing
You’re eligible for a subsidised rent if you meet both of these conditions:
- the market rent is more than 25% of your household’s total assessable income before tax
- no one in the household owns or partly owns any residential property.
How subsidised rent is calculated
Subsidised rent is based on your household’s total assessable income before tax. If you’re eligible for subsidised rent, your rent is no more than 25% of your household’s total assessable income before tax.
How to apply
1. Complete the form
Fill out a Rent review form.
2. Supporting documents
Provide proof of income and identity for the new occupant if they are aged 16 and over.
Provide proof of income for everyone else living in the property.
Attach any other documents needed, for example if the other occupant is going to provide care for you, you'll need proof of the caring arrangement.
3. Lodge the form and documents
Return the completed form and all other documents to Housing SA.
What happens next
You’ll receive a letter telling you if your application for subsidised rent has been approved.
You need to:
- tell Housing SA in writing within 14 days if your household income changes.
- apply for Housing SA’s written approval if you want someone to move into your home.
You can also notify Housing SA if someone is moving in or out and report changes to your income with your Housing Connect account.