Maintenance of public housing

Request repairs to public housing

If you're renting public housing that needs repairs, Housing SA will arrange for a contractor to carry out the work. You may have to pay if:

  • the damage has been caused deliberately or accidentally by you, someone living with you or a visitor
  • you have been negligent and you haven't kept the property in a good condition.

Housing SA cannot help if you:

  • lose your keys or lock yourself out
  • have problems with pests or vermin.

Emergency or urgent repairs

Emergency or urgent repairs such as a gas leak can be reported at any time. Phone: 131 288

If you report an urgent repair you must be home to give the contractor access to the property. If you aren't at home when the contractor calls, you can be charged a call-out fee and the request for repairs may be cancelled

Urgent repairs

Work will be carried out within 24 hours of your call. Urgent repairs can include:

  • damage caused by a disaster such as storm damage, major flooding
  • major roof leaks
  • burst water pipes
  • a gas leak inside your home
  • fire damage
  • any damage that makes your home unsafe..

Information to provide when you call

Have the following information ready:

  • your name, address and phone number
  • your Housing SA customer number
  • details about the type and location of the repairs
  • a time when you will be home to let a contractor in.

Report or request maintenance

You can report non-urgent maintenance issues to Housing SA maintenance:

  • by phone: 131 288, Monday to Friday 7.00 am to 7.00 pm
  • using the online report form at any time. Do not use the online form for urgent repairs.

How long non-urgent repairs take

Your request will be assessed to see how urgent it is.

Non-urgent repairs

Housing SA will assess the damage to see what needs to be done. Work usually starts within 14 days.

Non-urgent repairs include:

  • tiling
  • wall cracking
  • concreting
  • fencing
  • replacing kitchen fixtures.

Contractors in your home

After you report a maintenance issue to Housing SA, they will arrange for a contractor to carry out the work. The contractor will contact you to arrange a time for the repairs to be carried out. If you aren't at home when the contractor calls, get back to them as soon as possible and organise a time for them come and do the repairs.

If you aren't at home they will leave a card for you with their:

  • name, address and contact details
  • the date and time they called
  • why they called.

The contractor's rights and responsibilities

The contractor has the right to leave without carrying out or completing repairs if:

  • you refuse to stop smoking around them
  • their safety is threatened - eg someone threatens them, an aggressive dog isn't properly restrained.

The contractor must:

  • show you their identification before entering your home
  • make sure the work area is left in a safe, clean and tidy condition at the end of each working day
  • remove any rubbish they create
  • be polite and respectful to you, your home and your possessions.

Your rights and responsibilities

You are breaking the conditions of your lease agreement if you:

  • refuse to give the contractor access to your property for the repairs to be done
  • harass, threaten or are otherwise aggressive towards a contractor.

You should help the contractor by:

  • being polite and respectful
  • making sure children and pets are kept out of the way
  • moving any furniture or other items that are in the way.

Contact Housing SA maintenance if you:

  • aren't happy with a contractor's behaviour
  • are concerned about the standard of the work carried out
  • aren't satisfied with the time it has taken the contractor to call and carry out the work
  • would like to give any other feedback on your experience.

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why.

If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 7 August 2018

Provided by:
South Australian Housing Authority
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2019