Depending on the type of housing you live in, there are garden areas like front and backyards that are your responsibility to maintain.

The type of maintenance you may need to do to keep your garden areas tidy includes:

  • mowing lawns
  • watering
  • controlling weed growth
  • trimming shrubs, climbers and small trees.

If you don't know what garden areas you're responsible for contact Housing SA.

Communal areas

Housing SA maintains common areas in groups of units such as walk-up flats, cottage flats and villa flats. The residents must keep these communal areas clean and free of obstacles.

In these common areas Housing SA will look after:

  • lawns
  • garden beds
  • concrete areas
  • irrigation
  • trees.

For help with these issues contact Housing SA maintenance. When a tree needs to be pruned or removed, Housing SA will:

What Housing SA helps with

Housing SA will provide help in your private garden area by:

  • treating extensive toxic weeds and shrubs such as caltrop or three corner jacks
  • removing or pruning dead or diseased trees of large shrubs
  • removing or pruning trees or large shrubs that have been assessed as a danger to you, your home or sewerage systems
  • responding to storm damage.

Horticultural advice

A Housing SA horticultural representative can visit your property and give you advice on:

  • the garden areas you are responsible for
  • the type of garden work Housing SA will do
  • developing and maintaining your garden.

This free service is available by contacting Housing SA maintenance.

What Housing SA doesn't do

Housing SA does not supply these materials or services:

  • lawn seed
  • trees and shrubs
  • sleepers
  • gravel
  • mulch, pine bark or woodchips
  • poison
  • fertiliser
  • paving or concrete slabs
  • dripper installation
  • lawn cutting or edging
  • construction or retaining walls
  • cutting or regular pruning of trees and shrubs
  • reconstruction or landscaping of tenant-maintained front and backyards.

Related information

On this site

Other websites

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 24 February 2021

Provided by:
SA Housing Authority
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2022