Register for housing

Registration documents

Proof of income and identity

Your proof of income must be less than two weeks old unless you are providing a tax return as proof of your income. Remove tax file numbers from all documents you provide to Housing SA.

When applying for help paying bond or rent

If you are applying for help paying bond or rent, you need to provide 100 points of identity.

For any other Housing SA service

Your proof of identity must be valid.

You can provide either one form of photographic identity or two forms of written identity.

The Proof of income and identity information page can be printed for reference.

Permission for a third party to speak on your behalf

You will need to give permission for Housing SA to talk to someone else about your personal information.

Housing SA can’t discuss your information with anyone without your consent. If you want a third party – eg your child, partner or doctor, to speak to the housing provider about your registration, you can complete a  permission to share information form and return it to Housing SA.

    You can cancel permission at any time by writing to Housing SA.

    Change of circumstances

    You should tell your primary contact organisation if your personal or household circumstances change.

    Complete a change of circumstances form and return it to your primary contact organisation.

    Housing needs and special circumstances

    A professional support worker or medical practitioner who is aware of your situation can write a letter of support or assist with conducting a housing needs test to support your public or community housing registration.

    Guidelines for writing support letters have been developed to assist support workers and medical practitioners to prepare letters of support for you.

      Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent

      To make sure the housing is accessed by the Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people only, confirmation is required if you say on your registration that you want Aboriginal housing.

      You must provide confirmation of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent.

      1. Complete a Confirmation of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Descent form (100.4 KB PDF)
      2. Apply to an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Corporation, Organisation or Community that knows you and will accept your declaration
      3. The forms must be stamped with a Common Seal belonging to an Aboriginal Corporation, Organisation or Community.

      Housing SA staff can help you with information on how to get Confirmation of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent.

      Housing areas

      Public housing maps

      You can select the area you would prefer to live in.

      Maps showing the locations of public housing are available to help you decide.

      Interactive map

      An interactive map for public housing is also available to help you.

      Community housing maps

      Community housing maps show where community housing is available.

      Public housing types

      House type



      Cottage flats

      One storey units in small groups with shared common areas and no private yard.


      Group of units, usually two or three storeys with shared common areas and no private yard.

      Medium density

      One or two storey townhouses with a small yard usually in close proximity to neighbours.


      Detached properties with a larger private yard.

      Was this page useful?

      Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response send an enquiry instead.

      Page last updated 29 August 2017

      Provided by:
      Department for Communities and Social Inclusion
      Last Updated:
      Printed on:
      Copyright statement:
      SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016