Income and asset eligibility limits

You'll need to meet income and asset limits to be eligible for:

If you're registering your interest in community housing there are some income payment exclusions listed in eligibility procedure (162.0 KB PDF).

If you're applying for help paying bond and rent, you'll need to meet both the income limits and the cash asset limits.

Income and asset limits below came into effect from 9 September 2019

Income limits

Household typeMaximum weekly income before taxMaximum annual income before tax
Single person$993.20$51,646.40
Single person with one child$1298.80$67,537.60
Single person with two children$1,451.60$75,483.20
Single person with three children$1,604.40$83,428.80
Single person with four or more children$1,833.60$95,347.20
Couple with one child$1,451.60$75,483.20
Couple with two children$1,604.40$83,428.80
Couple with three children$1,833.60$95,347.20
Couple with four or more children$2,062.80$107,265.60

Independent income

An independent income is a regular income paid directly to you and is the minimum amount of income you can have to be considered for:

  • public or Aboriginal housing
  • help paying bond or rent.

It can include, but isn't limited to:

  • payments from Centrelink or similar, for example Veterans' Affairs
  • a wage or salary for full time, part-time, or casual work
  • investment income
  • interest paid directly to you.

Your income must be at least equal to Centrelink's maximum youth allowance payment for a single person not living at their parent's home.

Asset limits for public and community housing

Household typeMaximum asset value
Households headed by a single person$473,750
Households headed by a couple$605,000

Assets can include:

  • cash lodged with a financial institution
  • real estate such as vacant land
  • shares, bonds and investments
  • household and personal effects
  • cars, boats and motorhomes
  • any debts currently owed to you
  • overseas assets converted to Australian dollars.

Cash asset limits for help paying bond or rent

Household typeMaximum cash asset value
Households headed by a single person$5,000
Households headed by a couple


Cash assets are any money or funds readily available to you. It can include:

  • cash in the bank
  • term deposit
  • shares
  • savings.

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why.

If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 9 September 2019

Provided by:
SA Housing Authority
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2020