Fire safety monitored by councils
An authorised officer from your local council can inspect buildings in the community to check fire safety.
- check if fire safety provisions are adequate
- issue fire safety defect, works and upgrade notices
- advise on an appropriate solution to a risk.
Guide to council building fire safety committees (1.2MB PDF)
Fire safety notices
You must develop an upgrade proposal and report the new fire safety measures to the council within 2 months of being served a defect notice.
You can also:
- apply to have a notice varied or revoked
- appeal to the Environment Resources and Development (ERD) Court.
You can be prosecuted if you do not comply with a fire safety notice.
The council’s building fire safety committee must be notified in writing when any required work has been completed.
Provided by: Attorney-General's Department
Page last updated 18 May 2022