Heritage listed properties
South Australian places and objects of heritage are protected by law and are recorded in the South Australian Heritage Register.
Contact Heritage South Australia to view heritage reports, which include:
- register file number
- name of the place, area or object
- local government area
Nominate a heritage place or item
Anyone can suggest that a place or object be added to the state register. A temporary registration applies until the accepted nominations can be fully considered by the SA Heritage Council. These are called provisional entries. Decisions are made following:
- assessment against the heritage criteria
- feedback from public consultation
- any heritage surveys.
Developing a heritage site
Heritage sites can be developed or altered under certain circumstances.
Read the policy for developing state or local heritage places in the Planning and Design Code.
Development applications are referred to the minister if they:
- directly affect a state heritage place or area
- affect the context of the place or area, including adjacent or nearby sites.
Local places and objects are also listed in the Planning and Design Code