Housing for Aboriginal people

Housing in remote Aboriginal communities

Housing is provided in some remote Aboriginal communities. These properties are only available to people who have cultural or family ties to that community.

Some houses in Aboriginal communities are managed by the local community while others are managed by Housing SA.

Existing houses in the community are being brought to a safe and habitable standard and new houses are being built in some locations.

Moving back to your community

If you need to move back to a community where you have cultural or family ties, contact the local Housing SA office.

Your application for a house will be assessed by Housing SA and the local Aboriginal community. This is to ensure that you are eligible for housing.

You will receive a letter telling you if your application has been accepted or not.

If your application is approved, you will be notified when a suitable house is available. Bring any forms or documents with you that have been requested by Housing SA so that your rent can be calculated and a tenancy agreement for the new house signed.

Living in a Housing SA house in your community

The rent for your Housing SA house must be paid regularly. If you are having maintenance problems at the new house you can contact Housing SA to have these repaired. If you want to move to a different house you should talk to someone in your local Housing SA office. You will need to explain why you need to move - for example, your current house is too small.

Related Information

On this site

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with disabilities

Other websites

Indigenous Business Australia Home Ownership - home loans specifically for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why.

If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 17 October 2017

Provided by:
South Australian Housing Authority
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2019