Get the most recent information on South Australia's response to the Coronavirus pandemic.

Call centres and information lines

Disability modifications in public housing

If you live in public housing and need modifications to remain independent at home, Housing SA may make them free of charge.

Minor modifications include:

  • handrails
  • inside ramps
  • sliding doors
  • lever taps.

Major modifications include:

  • outside ramps
  • lowering of kitchen benches and cupboards
  • wet area modifications.


You must be a resident of South Australia and approved by Housing SA to live in the home.

You may be eligible for help if your health problem:

  • affects your housing needs
  • is intellectual, psychiatric, neurological or physical
  • will continue for at least six months

You can also ask for information and referrals during a home visit

    How to apply

    1. Fill out the form

    Fill out a modifications application form (98.8 KB DOCX). For other versions of this form contact Housing SA.

    2. Contact your health professional

    Have either your doctor, occupational therapist or physiotherapist, complete section two of the form.

    3. Return the form

    Return the completed form to Housing SA.

    What happens next

    Once the form is received, Housing SA may inspect the property to decide if the modifications can be made.

    If modifications to your home are considered impractical, Housing SA may suggest you transfer to more suitable accommodation. Housing SA will pay for electricity, gas or phone to be connected, mail redirection and reasonable removal expenses.

    Doing it yourself

    You can make your own modifications, improvements or alterations to your property but these must be approved by Housing SA. See Home improvements in public rental homes.

    Related information

    Other websites

    Housing modifications for people with a disability policy - SA Housing Authority

      Was this page useful?

      Page last updated 3 January 2020

      Provided by:
      SA Housing Authority
      Last Updated:
      Printed on:
      Copyright statement:
      SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2020