Getting home modifications

Disability modifications in community housing

If you are living in a community housing property and you need to have the property modified you may be eligible to have modifications installed through your community housing provider.

Modifications include:

  • ramps
  • grab rails
  • lowering benchtops
  • lever taps
  • removal of a bath.


To be eligible you must meet all of these criteria:

  • the condition or disability is long-term or permanent and impacts on your housing needs
  • the person needing the modifications won't be moving out of the property in the foreseeable future
  • verification of the need for modifications and its impact can be provided by a health or disability worker.

How to apply

Complete a disability modifications request form (120.5 KB DOC) and return it to your community housing provider.

You may be offered another property more suitable to your needs rather than having a modification installed in your current home.

Verification from a disability or health worker may be requested if the modifications cost $1000 or more. Your health or disability worker may also be asked to provide information on the specifications of the modifications required.

If you have received a compensation payout which has provided money specifically for the provision and installation of modifications you may be required to contribute to the cost of having these installed.

If your compensation payout provided for the maintenance of modifications, the cost of their ongoing maintenance and upkeep may be your responsibility and not that of your housing provider.

Other help to stay independent at home

Many organisations and community groups offer different types of assistance to help people stay independent at home.

Things they can help with include:

  • personal care and hygiene
  • grocery shopping and meals
  • medical assistance and support
  • transport for appointments
  • social gatherings and functions.

Find services in your area through the SA Community website.

Your local council may be able to give you contact details for community groups in your area who could help.

Related information

On this site

Other websites

Catalyst Foundation - Information on independent living and home support


Disability modifications policy (773.3 KB PDF)

For an alternative version of a document on this page contact SA Housing Authority.

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why.

If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 22 August 2019

Provided by:
South Australian Housing Authority
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2019