Buying your community housing property

If you're the tenant who signed the lease agreement with a community housing provider, you may be able to buy your community housing property. Not all properties are for sale.

Before you start

If you have a debt with your community housing provider, you'll need to do either of these:

  • repay the debt in full before contacting your housing provider
  • provide proof your lending institution has added your debt to their loan approval

Arrange your finance

Contact your lending institution to see if you're eligible for a loan, and get an approval in principle letter.

The next steps

  1. Contact your community housing provider for a request to purchase form.
  2. Submit the completed form to your provider along with the approval in principle letter.
  3. Any improvements you have made to the property require written approval from your housing provider.
  4. A property check will be undertaken by your housing provider and then Housing SA decides if the property can be sold.
  5. If your property is available for sale, the community housing provider arranges an independent valuer to value the property and establish a sale price. Allowances may be made for any improvements that you have added to the property if they have been approved by your community housing provider.
  6. If you disagree with the valuation, contact the community housing provider.
  7. The community housing provider will send you a contract for sale. The offer is valid for 30 days.
  8. If you want to continue with the purchase, complete and return the contract for sale to the community housing provider.

Process for Renewing our Streets and Suburbs tenants

If you are a community housing tenant through the Renewing Our Streets and Suburbs (ROSAS) program, then the following process applies:

  1. Housing SA will arrange a valuer to establish a sale price, taking any improvements you have made to the property into account.
  2. You will be sent an offer letter and an application to purchase form. The offer is valid for 30 days.
  3. If you disagree with the valuation, contact the Housing Connect officer.
  4. If you want to continue with the purchase, complete and return the application to purchase form to the Housing Connect officer.

What to include on the contract for sale

The tenant must be included in the contract for sale and the certificate of title to the property. The tenant's interest in the property can't be assigned to another party. Other parties may be listed as joint purchasers.

If you don't respond within 30 days

The offer expires and there is no obligation by the community housing provider or Housing SA to offer the property for sale again.

Related information

    Other websites

    HomeStart Finance

    Was this page useful?

    Page last updated 23 November 2018

    Provided by:
    SA Housing Authority
    Last Updated:
    Printed on:
    Copyright statement:
    SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2021