Retirement housing - information for operators
Operators need a sound knowledge of the Act and Regulations to properly manage a retirement village.
The Retirement Villages Act 2016 and the Retirement Villages Regulations 2017 commenced on 1 January 2018 replacing the previous Act and Regulations.
COVID-19 Important information for operators:
Retirement villages - communal facilities information sheet
Guidance on meeting the requirements of the Retirement Villages Act 2016 (RV Act) during the COVID-19 pandemic and social distancing
Review of the Retirement Villages Act 2016
The Minister for Health and Wellbeing has tabled in Parliament a report on the outcomes of the Review of the Retirement Villages Act 2016 .
The Act commenced on 1 January 2018 and was required to be reviewed after three years.
Community feedback was sought to find out whether the Act meets its intended objectives and if there needs to be consideration given to legislative changes.
Submissions to the review closed 16 April 2021.
Information for operators
For information about your obligations and rights under the Act and Regulations download ‘Retirement Villages Act 2016 – Information for Operators ’. The topics in the booklet are also available in the individual information sheets below.
If you have questions please phone Office for Ageing Well on 8204 2420 for information on the following:
- Retirement Villages Act 2016 – an overview of the Retirement Villages Act 2016 which commenced on 1 January 2018
- Transitional provisions – information about transitional provisions applicable to the commencement of the Act and Regulations
- Residence contracts – information regarding residence contracts which details both resident and operator obligations
- Documents to be provided to prospective residents – information on the documents which operators must provide to prospective residents at least 10 business days before entering into a residence contract
- Financial reporting and responsibilities – information on operator’s obligations to residents with regard to the presentation of a village’s income and expenditure
- Consultation with residents – information on how operators can properly consult with residents about matters affecting their residence in the retirement village
- Code of conduct – information about the code of conduct for both residents and operators in retirement villages
- Termination of a resident’s right of occupation – information about what grounds a resident’s right of occupation can be terminated and the process to follow
- Residents leaving a village to go into aged care – information on eligibility of residents to apply for aged care payments from the operator
- Retirement villages register – details of the information required from retirement villages to be registered
- Resolving disputes – information and advice on the best way to resolve disputes in a retirement village
- Disclosure statement – information on the requirements of operators to provide prospective residents with a disclosure statement before they enter into a residence agreement
- Exit entitlements – Information relating to leaving a retirement village and the relicensing of a residence
- Remarketing policy – details of the information required to be in a retirement village’s remarketing policy
- Residence rules – Information on the matters which the residence rules must at least address
- Premises condition report and vacated premises reports – requirements related provision of premises condition report and vacated premises report
- Organisations to contact for advice – information on where to obtain independent information and advice for prospective residents, residents and operators
Forms for operators
Office for Ageing Well must be advised of changes to details of operators of existing retirement villages in South Australia.
Forms for the Retirement Villages Register:
- Proforma #1 - Notification of Information required for Register (Single Village)
- Proforma #1b - Information for Register - Change of Operator
- Proforma #2 - Notification of Amended Information required for Register (Additional stage within a retirement village)
Enforcement Framework for retirement villages
Operator and village manager survey results
The Office for Ageing Well sought feedback from retirement village operators and managers on the introduction of the Retirement Villages Act 2016 and Retirement Villages Regulations 2017. The legislation commenced operation on 1 January 2018.
The intention is to survey village operators and managers on the operation of the Act annually. This is to ensure that there is a robust source of data on operational and other matters.
The feedback received will assist in understanding the effectiveness of the legislative changes and the cumulative impact on operators, residents and the community.
The results of all surveys will be made publicly available to continue the conversation about ongoing improvement and best practice within the industry.
Here are the survey results: