Travellers and volunteering

Australians volunteering overseas

If you want to volunteer overseas, there are plenty of volunteer and exchange programs to choose from.

Register for opportunities to volunteer for international organisations on the United Nations website.

Police checks for Australian volunteers abroad

If you're planning to do volunteer work while overseas, get a national police check from the Australian Federal Police before you leave Australia.

Overseas visitors volunteering in Australia

If you're an overseas visitor and you would like to do some volunteer work in Australia, contact the Department of Home Affairs to make sure your visa allows it.

You might be able to work as a volunteer while on a tourist visa if:

  • your main purpose for visiting Australia is tourism
  • the work involved would not otherwise be done by Australian resident for pay
  • the work is genuinely voluntary and you get no pay.

Under a tourist visa you can get meals, accommodation and reimbursement of out-of-pocket living expenses in return for voluntary work.

Police checks for volunteers from overseas

There's no way to get a police check for volunteers from outside Australia. If you think you might take part in volunteer activities while in Australia, please plan ahead and get a police check from your country of origin.

Related information

On this site

How to search for volunteering opportunities

Other websites

Working holiday visa – Department of Home Affairs

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 2 March 2023

Provided by:
Department of Human Services
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023